Losing weight is tough for many people, myself included. I had been a serial dieter since my early twenties, but my weight just seemed to increase year after year. Quitting a traditional diet completely stopped that for me — the weight was gone, and it stayed gone. So how did I do it? It may sound crazy, but a $5 hypnosis app completely changed the weight loss game for me.
A few years ago, I was frustrated. I was following a low carb diet because I had read that it would help with my migraines. While I definitely saw a decrease in my headaches, I was miserable. I hate eggs, I was sick of salad, and I was mostly sick of making dinner alternatives for myself while my family ate “regular” food. I would often “cheat” and would really struggle with getting back on the wagon. That final winter of my low carb diet, we got walloped with snow, which added to the cheating and the weight gain.
So here I was, twenty-five pounds heavier than I was a year before and sick of low carb foods. Not wanting to obsess over food anymore, I started my research.
I had recently heard of someone who had had success with a hypnosis weight loss program, so I started to do a little research. I discovered an app for $5, and bought it. What did I have to lose?
Easyloss Virtual Gastric Band is the name of the app. It’s available for iPhone and Android (links will take you download.) There are four different hypnosis sessions (and each session has a day and night version.) In addition to the hypnosis sessions, there are four guidelines to follow that encourage mindful eating. Mindful eating is something I had always strived for, but could never get to click. That’s what the hypnosis did for me. There is also a Facebook support group where members and the program’s creators can answer questions and share success stories.
Easyloss is amazing, and it has changed my life. It isn’t, however, magic. You do have to follow their mindful eating guidelines. The hypnosis helped me get over my food obsessions and got me more in tune with my body, but the guidelines are what really took the weight off. The guidelines are:
- Eat what you want, not what you can – Don’t eat something just for the sake of eating – I still struggle with this, especially at parties!
- Eat whenever you are physically hungry, and only when you are physically hungry
- Eat slowly!
- As soon as you think you are no longer hungry, stop eating!
So why did this program work for me?
- I could eat whatever I wanted. This was HUGE for me. Not restricting food gave me no reason to “cheat.”
- I learned to listen to my body. Years of dieting wrecked me here. I would eat because I had points or calories left for the day, not because I was hungry. Using external cues, not internal cues, to choose when or how much to eat made me lose sight of what my body was feeling. Mindful eating changed that for me. Trusting our bodies is important!
- I’m setting a good example for kids. I feel like this is one of the best lessons to give my children. They see me eating in moderation, not stuffing myself, and not weighing and measuring everything I put in my mouth.
- I’m no longer obsessed with food. I love food. I’m a boredom eater and a social eater. There are definitely times where I still struggle with this, but the hypnosis has really helped me reign this in.
Where am I at in my weight loss journey now?
I still have more to lose. It took me about seven months to lose the 25 pounds, and I’ve maintained the loss. I loosened up a little too much on the guidelines since hitting the 25 pound mark, but I know that if I buckle down again I will get it done.
If you’re looking to lose weight, I strongly suggest checking this app out and giving mindful eating a try. It has been life changing for me, and I know it can work for you too!